Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
toolman946 via CraftKB.com toolman946 via CraftKB.com is offline

Default acetylene or carbon producing gas question

N+N wrote:

I want to apply soot deposits to glass in a swirl pattern.

I used a carbide miner's lamp for many years to produce soot on the front
sight of my competition pistol. I drilled out the orifice with a #80 drill
bit (twirl it by hand) causing the gas/air mix to produce a sooty flame. The
first 2 links take you to suppliers of new lamps and the 3rd link shows an
offering on ebay.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...CT&itemID=1659

http://www.jkdey.com/115c.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-VINTAGE-BRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Calcium carbide is used to manufacture acetelyne gas, so you could try a
local gas supplier to obtain a handful of carbide. Altenatively, the lamp
suppliers offer carbide in larger quantities.

Cheers.