Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
N+N N+N is offline

Default acetylene or carbon producing gas question

I know this use is unconventional and maybe not too relevant to
metalwork, hopefully that doesn't **** anyone off.

I want to apply soot deposits to glass in a swirl pattern. I've used
pure acetylene to do this before on other surfaces, it produces long
strands of soot that float through the air and make an interesting
pattern when they land on something. Hard to control but looks
interesting.

I no longer have acetylene, I don't know if it's available anywhere in
small tanks, like propane or MAPP is? Are there any other gases that
will burn and produce smoke like acetylene? I need maybe 2 minutes
worth of gas so I really don't want to buy/lease a tank and pay near
$100. I can't transport the gas to another shop either.

HS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N+N wrote:
I know this use is unconventional and maybe not too relevant to
metalwork, hopefully that doesn't **** anyone off.

I want to apply soot deposits to glass in a swirl pattern. I've used
pure acetylene to do this before on other surfaces, it produces long
strands of soot that float through the air and make an interesting
pattern when they land on something. Hard to control but looks
interesting.

I no longer have acetylene, I don't know if it's available anywhere in
small tanks, like propane or MAPP is? Are there any other gases that
will burn and produce smoke like acetylene? I need maybe 2 minutes
worth of gas so I really don't want to buy/lease a tank and pay near
$100. I can't transport the gas to another shop either.

HS

Spelunkers use carbide lamps, that generate acetylene from carbide and
water, and burn it right there.

You ought to be able to generate it in small quantities; the best way
may be to buy a lamp with some carbide, and experiment.

If you blow yourself up it isn't my fault.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N+N wrote:

I want to apply soot deposits to glass in a swirl pattern.

I used a carbide miner's lamp for many years to produce soot on the front
sight of my competition pistol. I drilled out the orifice with a #80 drill
bit (twirl it by hand) causing the gas/air mix to produce a sooty flame. The
first 2 links take you to suppliers of new lamps and the 3rd link shows an
offering on ebay.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...CT&itemID=1659

http://www.jkdey.com/115c.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-VINTAGE-BRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Calcium carbide is used to manufacture acetelyne gas, so you could try a
local gas supplier to obtain a handful of carbide. Altenatively, the lamp
suppliers offer carbide in larger quantities.

Cheers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N+N wrote:
I know this use is unconventional and maybe not too relevant to
metalwork, hopefully that doesn't **** anyone off.

I want to apply soot deposits to glass in a swirl pattern. I've used
pure acetylene to do this before on other surfaces, it produces long
strands of soot that float through the air and make an interesting
pattern when they land on something. Hard to control but looks
interesting.

I no longer have acetylene, I don't know if it's available anywhere in
small tanks, like propane or MAPP is? Are there any other gases that
will burn and produce smoke like acetylene? I need maybe 2 minutes
worth of gas so I really don't want to buy/lease a tank and pay near
$100. I can't transport the gas to another shop either.

MAPP is available in little bottles at the hardware store for
use in Bernzomatic torches. It produces smoke identical to
acetylene, as far as I can tell, when burned alone in an
Acetylene/Oxygen torch.

Jon