Edwin Pawlowski

Default power tools -- price vs quality?

"BobAtVandy" wrote in message
I'm a potential newbie woodworker, trying to ascertain the likely cost of
getting into this.

You will get plenty of answers and opinions. Consider used tools if you can
find a decent deal. Don't buy cheap junk. It is just not worth the hassle.
These are tools that can last many years and will make your life simpler.

You don't have to drop $10,000 the first time out; but you easily can. Buy
what you need as you need it. Consider hand tools over power tools to save
money also. Yes, there truly is a difference in the quality of the big names
compared to Harbor Freight and the close out stores.

DRILL PRESS -- It seems to me that as long as the 'table' can be set

square
(or at a set angle), and locked tight, anything else is a matter of
convenience. So, I'm thinking like a 8" 5-speed Harbor Freight (Central
Machinery) or Grizzly for $70-$80. Are there any compelling/quality

issues
that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

8" is a bit small. Go for a 10" or 12". Cheap tools are cheap tools. Even
a simple drill press. How easy does it adjust? Do you turn a crank to
raise and lower the table or do it by hand and hope to get a close
adjustment? How good is the chuck? Is there a lot of runout on the chuck
making it difficult to make an accurate hole? How easily is the stop set to
get the hole depth right? You don't want the bit to slip in a cheap chuck
either.

BELT SANDER -- Same rationale. I would think there isn't a lot of reason
not to get an inexpensive unit. E.g., a combo 6" disc/36" belt for about
$60 from Harbor Freight. Same question: Are there any compelling/quality
issues that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

What about the table to disc alignment? You do want a perfect 90 degrees,
and you want some adjustability.

ROUTER -- I don't understand the ins and outs of routers, but I gather

it's
worth buying a better unit, though I couldn't tell you why. What are the
minimum capabilities I should look for? What brands are adequate for my
purpose and what likely price range?

Smoothness of the motor, how it feels in your hands and how easily it will
adjust. Take a look at www.patwarner.com for router info.

PLANER -- (sometime down the road perhaps)

I use my planer a lot and don't have a jointer yet. It is the easiest way
to get the wood the thickness I want. You can use hand planes also.