L&D

Default Experts: What is Laser Cutting vs. Dye Cutting?

Thanks for responding, this sounds exactly what I am look for, and if it can
be done with traditional methods I'm all for it .
Specifically I am looking for 4"x4" squares, uniformity being very important
.. I am trying to decide between 2 different types of board as described
he

One type is described as follows:

16 x 20" Painting panels made from special (approximately 5/32" thick)
compressed
wood and covered with an even textured canvas that has an acid-free, all
media priming.

The second type is described:
"Canvas Mounted Hardboard Panel": Crafted on a 3.2 mm thick, non-direction
composite hardboard (similar to masonite). The 100% cotton, acid-free all
media primed cotton canvas surface Size 20x24" panel.

I would probably need 100-150 initially, with the ability to re-order
(unsure yet of the duration between orders yet)

Is this do-able as you describe?
Thanks for your input

L&D

"Vince Heuring" wrote in message
om...
In article , L&D
wrote:

Hello experienced woodworkers

I am working on a special project (I'm actually a textile artist), and I
need to have some masonite or hardboard cut into a specific size and

shape
(small squares) in some quantity.

I will have to shop this out to someone, and I need to have as ultra

smooth
edges as I can get with exact size. Is what I'm looking for called

laser
cutting or dye cutting, and what is the difference?

Where would I look to find someone like this to do this type of work?

Thanks for any kind help

L&D

Not quite an answer to your question, but any woodworker with a good
table saw and top-notch blade, a Forrest WWII, for example, could
probably do the job for less expense than either of your alternatives,
depending on the size of the squares, of course.

I'd guess about than an hour to cut several hundred squares of any size
from 1" to, say 4" if you brought the hardboard. And the edges would
be smooth as silk.

'course, everything takes more time and costs more than the estimate.
:-)

--
Vince Heuring ECE Department, University of Colorado - Boulder
To email, remove the Vince.