Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Von Pearsall Von Pearsall is offline

Default Compressor drain

Iggy,

Go here and build your own, use the design a CDV assembly link. I have one
on a 5HP Quincy 1/2 NTP in and out, 10 sec on every 45 minutes. I would
prefer to have the one that stayed off for up to 4 hrs. but this one came
with the compressor. As Brian said, keeps the tank free of condensate.

http://www.ascovalve.com/CDVConfigurator

Unless you have a air dryer you will still get some condensate down stream
in you distribution piping so be sure to put in some valves to drain your
pipe syetem.

HTH

Von

Ignoramus27719 wrote in
:

On 2008-06-25, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Iggy,

If you decide NOT to go the economical route, then maybe you'd like
what I have.

I have a job specific device made by Burkert, consisting of a
blow-down valve with an accessory digital timer. I have mine set to
blow down for ten seconds any time power is applied to the compressor
controls, and again for 10 seconds every 6 hours that power is
applied. That is often enough that I never see any actual moisture
when it discharges.

Cost about 150 bucks.

Zero leakage, by the way.

If you are interested at that kind of money, lemme know and I'll get
the product info for you. I'm sure there is a distributor in your
area.

I think that it is the most idiot proof way of draining the tank. I
looked at their site a little, would be nice to know what model number
you have.

Other alternatives that I can get one are ones with a float, or else
one that operates off the unloaded valve.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:35:04 -0500, Ignoramus27719

On 2008-06-25, Ray Spinhirne wrote:

AndrewV wrote:

"Ignoramus19021" wrote in
message ...
Looking for recommendations on a good compressor drain.
Something that works, does not need attention, tolerates
occasional cold winter day with garage door open, and does not
make too much noise. McMaster's 4919K13 seems to fit the bill?

I don't know about the McMaster part but I 've installed several
auto
drains from Harbor freight with good results, 2 of them in use for
over 2 yrs w/ no problems. The cost was less then $15 as I
remember. Simple to install, they actuate off the unloader, you
may want to use your own tubing and fittings for the install.

YMMV

Second that on the fittings. The tubing and fittings supplied with
the kit blew
out and leaked on first use. Otherwise it seems to work ok but
does leak a little air all of the time.

Does not sound very encouraging. I want something that does not leak,
as I leak-proofed my tank enough so that if the outlet is closed, it
would run only once a week.

Anyway, these things need to be connected to the unloader valve,
right? My unloader tubing is copper.