Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Cost of HVAC system

Does the Ebay price also include the fittings and tubing and the gas to
charge the system?

Well, a good quality outside unit (compressor, coil, fan) usually has built
in isolaton valves and MOST of the "gas" is already in the unit. Most of
the weight of the gas is in liquid form. A small about of gas would be
added after the tube set and the inside coil are installed, connected, and
pumped down.

In some cases, both the tube set and the inside coil are shipped precharged.
All the tech does is connect things and then does some temperature/pressure
checks to see whether any more "gas" needs to be added or taken out.

Maybe where you live the installer's employees will gladly pick up the
equipment and supplies on their own time. They are probably happy to
dispose of the old equipment in their off hours as well rather then be
paid to do it. A job like this will require two to three workers, but on
TV it only takes 10 minutes for a complete installation.

The only HEAVY unit is the outside unit. My outside unit was replaced by
ONE man and his wife. She mainly provided moral support, as he had an
"powered" hand truck to move the unit up and down steps. I would doubt
that a 70,000 btu input unit would weight more than an ice box. But maybe
a case can be made for 2 workers (with one being a goffer). Only one guy
needs to be a HVAC tech.

The extra time needed to pick up the new stuff and dump the old might be 2
hours depending upon local circumstances.

Frankly, I just don't trust any HVAC companies. I would like a one man
shop with the guy picking up casual help when he needs over any "company."
When a company screws up they blame the "new guy." With the one man shop,
we know where the buck stops.

But that's my experience.