Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light The Reverend Natural Light is offline

Default Cost of HVAC system

On Jun 24, 1:47 am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
The estimates I have for a new HVAC system are one-liners
- just cost, no breakdowm of material and labor.

First, there should be a breakdown because there is no
reason to pay sales tax on labor.

Second, where does one find the actual cost of an HVAC
system?

Finally, what is a rough estimate of labor hours to
remove an existing system and install a new system
presuming it's an outside/inside system?

I'm going through the same thing. I filled out the form at Home
Depot. They sent out their local preferred contractor. The sales guy
eyeballed my old furnace and said I needed a 3 ton Trane heat pump.
Gave me a detailed estimate. It looked like this:

---------
New Heat Pump, Installed: $5842.00
---------

He glossed over all my requests for information on efficiency, BTU's,
etc. Kept telling me how much money I'd save every month. Gave me a
brochure with pictures of attractive people looking cool and
comfortable.

Out of general curiosity, I looked the unit up on eBay. $3000, buy-it-
now.

As for labor, he said they'd be in and out in 1 day. $2842 / 8 = $355/
hr.