Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof with three layers of shingles - dangerous?

On Jun 23, 4:18*pm, Norminn wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
Having just one and only one layer is best. * Shingles are heavy and
can put extra stress on a roof. *I've seen some really bad sagging
roofs with 2,3 and 4 layers of shingles on it.

I've been scratching my head, wondering how much difference another
layer of shingles would
make. *Google knows ) *Found a website that seems to explain it well:http://www.firesafedwellings.org/roo...of_weight.html

As for making a claim against the previous owner, that seems like it
would be a huge waste
in attorneys fees. *

No need for attorney's fees. You can bring this case in small claims
if necessary.

Unless the roof caves in. *I haven't read a
disclosure in a long time, but
if the previous owner had concealed anything, it seems *the new owner
wouldn't yet know about the
layers of roofing. *If there are really three layers of shingles, it
probably is far from a hidden
issue. *Should be obvious from the street.

And if code says 3 layers are not allowed? And if code also says a
building permit is required, but one was not pulled? And the roof is
obviously new? The buyer should just roll over and accept that?