Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
HC HC is offline

Default Considering a larger welder, seeking advice/experiences; Shopmate300?

On Jun 19, 6:14 am, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:31:57 -0700 (PDT), HC wrote:

So, I started looking at the Lincoln Idealarc 250 with PFC (power
factor correction) it can draw as much as 68 amps at 230 VAC supply (I
presume that is what I have here as it is the closest of the voltages
I've seen to my voltage). I looked at a comparable (sort of) Miller
unit the Dialarc 250 AC/DC which, with PFC, gets me down to 60 amps
draw at less than its rated max output (225 amps output, DC).

Two choices as you see...transformer based or inverter based.

Transformer machines are heavy, bulky, a bit more power hungry than
inverters.

They are also virtually bullet proof and generally easy to keep
running over many years, maximizing your investment

Inverters are smaller, lighter, use less power.
They are also hideously expensive to repair, tend to be far far less
reliable than transformer machines

I dabble in buying/selling welding machines, mostly as a hobby and to
keep upgrading my machines.

I seldom find an inverter machine more than 3 yrs old, that hasnt been
smoked at least once, but I find 25-30 yr old transformer machines
that put out as sweet an arc as they did when new, with no issues ever
noted.

I own both Red and Blue. My standard stick welder, which lives under
the welding table, is a 20 yr old Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC.

It spent much of its life on high rise building construction sites.
The case had been smashed, hammered back to shape, smashed again etc
etc..and it still burns everything I feed it, with a marvelous arc.

Its been filled with a hornets nest, and lives outside, under a table.

I did have one problem with it..turning it on once caused the breakers
to blow, a bright flash and the smell of burning meat. Seems a
rattlesnake had crawled up inside to hunt the nest of mice and got
across the line terminals in its haste to slither away from the now
turning fan.

I cleaned out the snake parts, the mouse nest, put some 1/4" mesh
across some openings and have been using it ever since with no issues.

Gunner, who pickes up his 400amp Miller Trailblazer 55G multiprocess
Continental gasoline powered 1700lb welder, tommorow morning

Gunner, thank you for your reply. I understand the "yeah, it's a
brick of solid steel and it's not sexy but it *works* and it *keeps
working*" take on the larger units and I like that. It's good to know
about about the inverter machines. When you say that they have been
smoked, what in them blew? Are these user-serviceable/replaceable
parts?

Hope you're having fun with the Trailblazer.

--HC