Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Container hardware

Mark Dunning wrote:

Shading the top- with at least 6" of air flow between the shade and the top
will make an ENORMOUS difference in the heat in the container.

Shading the sides and ends will help a lot, also.

Objective- don't let ol' Sol touch your unit.

Yeah!

I lived in a sea can for a couple months, overseas.

If they are done right, they make great temporary quarters, but a coat
of white paint, and at least a roof to keep the sun off the top, is a
great place to start. A split air conditioner/ heater unit goes a long
ways too! :-)

I have seen some pictures of sea cans built into some pretty decent
sized buildings (like a 40 x 40 foot classroom, all open in the
interior) as well as a couple that were sheathed in siding, with a nice
verand/porch thing on the long side, using the overhanging roof for
some shade. Whithout knowing it was a sea container to start with, you
be hard pressed to tell.

Kinda interested in the subject, as I would like to use a few cans for
various things, once I am settled down.

By then, I suspect that they will have found actual uses for them,
rather than surplussing them all out. :-(

Cheers
Trev