Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Unplug your phone charger and stop global warming

On 2008-06-21 18:11:01 +0100, Lobster said:

John wrote:
I think that production of un-necessary stuff is a bigger problem:
eg. * Getting a new phone charger with your new phone when your
old one was okay (should be optional to make you think)

Except that almost every phone that anyone in my family has ever
owned (even from the same manufacturer) has needed a different
charger. Why the hell couldn't that (ie voltage/plug type) have been
standardised years ago, which would have allowed the above eg to have
happened?
David

It has - mini USB connectors.

Except that the OMTP (the major manufacturers) decided last year to move
to micro-USB instead.

"Due to the situation in USB standards evolution, OMTP defines two
classes for physical data connectivity. However, it is a common view
of participating companies that the industry will gradually shift to
using Class OMTP ConD1 [USB micro B or micro AB receptacle(s)] for
standard data connectivity, and the Class OMTP ConD2 [USB mini B
receptacle] will only be used in exceptional cases in the future."

http://tinyurl.com/536hzr
http://content.omtp.org/Lists/Public...OMTP_Local_Dat
a_Connectivity_v1_0.pdf

--