Scott Brackstone

Default Enlarging an existing door knob hole...HELP!

Anthony,
Here's a way it will take you 15 minutes...No Fuss...No filling..No Bogging

1) Mark out the centre of the existing hole in door out about 3" from the
hole both vertical & horizontal.

2) Take 2 pieces of scrap timber 4"x4"x 1/2" thick and mark a cross in the
centre, out to the edges

3) Cover the hole with the scrap timber..1 on either side ...line up the
cross on the timber with the centeline of the hole on the door and clamp
them.

4) Useing a HOLE SAW, drill through the scrap...this will put the hole
centred on the old hole and the scrap timber will guide your hole saw into
the door. Repeat on from the other side and PRESTO..New hole centred on old
hole ...15 minutes tops

FOW wrote in message
I'm tellin ya to glue a tight fitting plug in the hole and redrill it. Way
faster than all the stuff everyone else is saying. It would have been done
by now. Really ,just plug the hole and redrill it out. Might need some

bondo
though. Unless its a stain grade door. Use a flycutter/ plug cutter things
you use in a drill press.NOT a hole saw ! Cut it out oversze a wee bit and
rasp it to fit in the hole. As long as its flush to both sides or a little
over thickness. Sand it flush to the faces of the door stile , then plug

the
little hole in the center of the plug then holesaw/ redrill the new hole
out. Works for me when I blow the hole, too big.Thish should take you

about
1 hr to cut the plug/ fit and glue it in/Use 5 min Epoxy. Beltsand to

flush
and redrill the hole.
2 1/2 hr job. EASY !
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
y.com...

"anthony" wrote in message
Guys, help me out on this....

I have an older home where all the door knobs are tarnished badly.

So,
I've
decided to replace them with new ones. The problem is the old holes

on
the
doors are too small to accept the new knob fixtures. Any suggestions

achieve a professional result?

I see you already have help on the holes so I have nothing to add.

Just be sure of what you are replacing. They could be old junk, they

could
be of some value to a home restorer. Check it out before you toss them.

It
may also be possible to re-plate them if you like the style.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome