Posted to rec.woodworking
Maxwell Lol Maxwell Lol is offline

Default Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood

Tom Veatch writes:

That was interesting. My wife is the artist of the family and has an
extensive collection of pigments. So far, it sounds like the way to go
would be to use the torch/heat gun/wire brush approach to get the
texture, and turn color matching over to her.

Personally - I find that using a torch makes wood that looks like a
torch was used on it.

Micro-Mark sells oaints that simulate weathering

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...partment&ID=46

But this is for miniature model builders, and the sizes are in ounces
and not gallons.

For instance,
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=80873

is a tint that creates the weathered grey look, which is probably
exactly what you want, but it's $7 for 3 1/2 ounces.