Posted to rec.woodworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Exterior doors. Steel of Fiberglass?

On 20 Jun 2008 18:24:38 GMT, Steve wrote:

As a sidebar, I have gone to many client's houses that have steel
doors installed, and they thought the priming was the protective
finish! Surprisingly, it does quite well, and a good cleaning and you
can start finishing if there is no rust. I have finished doors that
have probably been installed for 2 - 3 years with no adverse effects
to the top coat of paint.

I recently installed a new front metal-clad door for a client. The
warranty was void if it wasn't painted within (I seem to recall) three
months.

I worked for 2 different window and door companies a few years back,
and if the doors were painted any dark colour the warranty was also
void - as was it if a "storm door" was installed (heat build-up
issues)

The best finish was a sprayed catalyzed automotive enamel - and we had
a LOT of them done by a couple of automotive paint shops.