Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood

Tom Veatch wrote:
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) from an old barn
that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will
be a birthday gift for a friend. Machining the wood will expose
surfaces with different texture and color and I'd like to treat/finish
those surfaces to better match them to the look of old and weathered
wood.

I suppose I could just set the frame out in the elements for a few
years, but a more expeditious approach would be preferred.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

I have seen, and made, picture frames from old boards so that only the
aged surfaces are seen. The only one I have at hand is made with the
full board thickness with the edge of the board to the front. The
inside rear of the boards are rabbeted out to hold the glass and
picture. A thin piece of board is inserted into the rabbet and showing
two edges, both old. I can send pictures if you are interested.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Useless Invention: Checkered paint.