Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7021 Ignoramus7021 is offline

Default Air compressor intercooler/water separator

On 2008-06-19, Carl McIver wrote:
I've been giving a good bit of thought about how to separate the water
before it gets into my compressor tank. I'm currently planning on running
it through an automotive air conditioning evaporator core and then into
something similar to what I've found on the web called a "franzinator" which
separates the water from the air by giving the air flow a sharp turn after
leaving a small pipe into a larger pipe. I've got a blower for the core,
but haven't actually put it all together just yet. Time and budget
constraints....
The franzinator works by creating a pressure drop and a sharp turn. The
pressure drop cools the air and the sharp turn flings the water away, where
it falls down, and as the air flow going up is slower in the larger pipe,
each component goes their separate ways.
I'm sure that the evaporator will reduce the air temperature
significantly, and there will also be a temperature drop in the franzinator.
Is there a way I can figure out if there will be a freezing problem, or am I
overthinking this issue, which happens all the time?
There's not a whole lot on the web about this sort of arrangement,
least not the combination I have in mind, so I wanted to see if anyone has
any experience with this sort of thing or has used either part of this
system, and if so, how it worked for you.

Simply widening of the pipe, does not necessarily create a pressure
drop of significance. That's a flaw in your reasoning. But even
without it, cooling compressed air to ambient will probably
precipitate some moisture, so your plan is solid. Just use a moisture
separator (filter) with a drain.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/