Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Bailen Ed Bailen is offline

Default Exterior doors. Steel of Fiberglass?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:11:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Not exactly a woodworking question, but who better
to ask.

I'm in the market for 5 new entry doors for my house.
Choises are steel, smooth fiberglass and wood grained
fiberglass. (I guess wood is an option, but I didn't
price any of those.)

Price roughly doubles as you move from steel to
smooth fiberglass, and doubles again when you move
to wood grained fiberglass.

So who's got an opinion about the material and if its
worth the price jump. Who makes a good door? a
bad door?

thanks

p.s. If you want to write up a quote, I need one 3-0(36"),
three 2-8(32"), and one 2-6(30") fire door, all with 5 1/4" jams,
no brick mold.

p.p.s. Any leads on a replacement for the 6-8 double
door for the back of my garage.

We have already replaced one steel door on the north side of the house
(water heater) with another steel door. On the south side of the
house, we replaced the steel entry door with a fiberglass door. Beinf
world-class procrastinators, we haven't yet applied any finish to the
fiberglass door. So far, it looks fine.

Ed