Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood

Tom Veatch wrote in message
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

Several years ago, I built a bar for a friend and he wanted it to look like
it was built out of aged barn board. I went to the lumber yard and picked up
some rough cut pine. To age it, I'd go over it lightly with a blow torch and
crisped some of the tips of the rough cuts on the boards. I then wiped away
the burn ends with a rag and that left the wood looking truly old.

If you're using new wood, then you can go at it lightly with a hatched or a
machete or something like that. Do the torch thing I described above and
then stain or paint the wood. Practice a little bit on some scrap to get the
look you want.