Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
Timelord Timelord is offline

Default Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
With literally millions of sellers and buyers, it's hard to keep everyone
honest. They are so obcessed with security that everyone is guilty until
proven
innocent, and then there is no explanation. And the entire issue of
changes
to the feedback system and of cloaking user IDs would seem to be counter-
productive to anyone outside the system.

Perhaps this is just a matter of eBay having grown so big so fast, but it
also seems to be an issue of being unwilling to put the effort and expense
into developing proper customer service. Just because they are an on-line
company (as their blurb puts it) is no excuse not to have a means of
direct
customer contact via phone. Businesses can't afford to wait 24 or 48
hours
to get a response via email, and then another 24 or 48 hours for their
response to be read, and then not by the same person!

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Art" wrote in message
news

wrote in message

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As
readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number
of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices.
All
in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those
nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Comments welcome!

A Stockholder, and Merchant, Loses Confidence in eBay
http://seekingalpha.com/article/8135...idence-in-ebay
(Small eBay seller had his account (with over 400 positive feedbacks)
suspended because of one negative feedback.)

A new test case of the DMCA--this time over an eBay auction
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949976-60.html
(Totally bogus accusation against eBay seller -- eBay suspends him.)

And all my friends wonder why I highly recommend not doing ANY business
via or with E-Bay!!
Seen and heard too many horror stories that eventually cost many people
lot of money and confidence.

On the whole, up until now, I don't honestly believe that there has been
any
real problem with e-Bay or its user community. I know many people who
have
been both buying and selling regularly on there from the start, who have
had
no problems at all. I have bought quite a lot of stuff over the years,
and I
have had one problem with a very slow shipment, and one where a shipment
never arrived at all. Probably a total of about eight quid lost.

If you were to ask anyone about their buying experiences from anywhere,
they
would all have a story or two. Just last week, I bought some new kitchen
stuff from a large UK DIY warehouse. Despite going over it with the
salesman
several times, the first item off the truck, when it was delivered, was
wrong. It took probably an hour's worth of phone calls and wasted time to
sort this out. As bad or worse than an e-Bay experience ? Not really any
different, I think ...

At the end of the day, e-Bay are a business, and they are not going to
deliberately do anything to **** their customers / users off. The
business
has evolved and grown over the years, and anyone who is in business and
understands business, will appreciate that what works when an enterprise
is
small, often doesn't when it is bigger. It becomes necessary to alter
business strategies, and there are bound to be things that people have
gotten used to, that they don't like the repalcements for. Sometimes,
what
seems like a good idea at the time, doesn't work out, so something else
has
to be tried, or even a return to the previous system is called for.
Sometimes, it's down to a change of ownership, or even management. Not
all
'managers' are actually qualified to manage. The current changes to
payment
methods, and the apparent mismanagement of exemplary users' accounts, may
just be down to some inept department head, who sooner or later, will be
'discovered' ...

In the meantime, I think it is a bit premature to be writing off what has
been - and probably still is - a fundamentally honest and successful
business, because it's currently having a few problems, or is doing
something which you (at the moment) don't agree with.

Arfa

I hate to say this Sam but you still have a lot to learn about Ebay, Most
people
still get bounced for the infighting that goes on behind the big doors at
Ebay
and not on any real complaint. I suggest that you log onto the sellers blogs
at Bay and take a look at what really goes on. Only then will you get a look
behind the door...

--
Thanks,
Timelord