Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8073 Ignoramus8073 is offline

Default Almost complete victory over the compressor

On 2008-06-19, DoTell wrote:
Ignoramus22839 wrote:
The ultimate issue with the motor, and the reason why it vibrated so
much and ran so badly and used 35 (IIRC) amps instead of 24, was that
the DE (Drive End) bearing was shot.

I did two things:

1) Replaced Drive End bearing
2) Shimmed the bearing so that there is no "end play" in the
shaft. (along the axis)

After I replaced it, the motor no longer vibrates, purrs like a baby,
and runs this compressor quietly. The only remaining question that I
have, is how come the running amps are 29, when the motor is rated for
24 amps.

I used a 6206Z bearing. (note the Z, meaning double sealed)

So, as of now, the compressor runs great as far as I could tell, aside
of the amps question.

Motors need "some" endplay, i.e.: for lube space.
Shim it for .006-.010, see if that helps.

yep.. I will... the finale is close...

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/