Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost complete victory over the compressor

"Ignoramus22839" wrote in message
The ultimate issue with the motor, and the reason why it vibrated so
much and ran so badly and used 35 (IIRC) amps instead of 24, was that
the DE (Drive End) bearing was shot.

I did two things:

1) Replaced Drive End bearing
2) Shimmed the bearing so that there is no "end play" in the
shaft. (along the axis)

After I replaced it, the motor no longer vibrates, purrs like a baby,
and runs this compressor quietly. The only remaining question that I
have, is how come the running amps are 29, when the motor is rated for
24 amps.

I used a 6206Z bearing. (note the Z, meaning double sealed)

So, as of now, the compressor runs great as far as I could tell, aside
of the amps question.

See if that bearing is getting hot. It may just need a burn-in period but you
might reconsider the shim pack and give it a bit of play. I always bang the
shaft of a motor I re-bearing back and forth a bit with a soft-blow hammer to
help "seat" everything. The seals do add a bit of friction for a while.