Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default brass

chip9munk wrote:
"Jedd Haas" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:55:14 +0200, with neither quill nor qualm,
"chip9munk" quickly quoth:

hello!

i am new to metalworking so i have a question...
what do i need to weld small brass pieces?

For small pieces, you can use a soldering iron. Look for a high wattage
iron of the type used for stained glass work.

is the link then strong enough... i want it to last... and not to brake as
soon as it is touched..

The word is "break" I'd normally not be
so pedantic except that when I see the word
"brake", my mind takes a totally different
path than it should...

Back to the question. Use "hard" solder
and acid flux. Clean all the flux real
good after you're done.

You should not use the solder joint to transmit
force. It should only be used to stick the
parts together. Use a pin or screw or bends
in the metal to lock them together then solder.