Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Having Problems Finding The Door

On Jun 17, 8:41*am, (Bill) wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:42:07 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:
No, I'm not convinced. There's a company that makes doors without
having to glue them:

http://www.timswoodshop.com/doors.htm

And if I could get the wood in a single board-- which is what I want--
I would pay as much as I needed to. I would rather not have to either
glue boards or have a door made out of glued boards; hence the name,
"solid wood."

Ron, how much woodworking experience do you have? *Building a
full-size entry door is not a small project. *Do you have a jointer
that can handle 80 inch stock? *Can you make large, tight mortise and
tenon joints?

It's very unlikely you will find 32 inch wide boards. *Trees that big
were cut down generations ago. *There's very good reason not to use
big panels, as well. *The wider the single panel, the more likely it
is to warp and/or cup with changes in humidity. *To make wide panels
you take narrow stock and edge glue it with alternating concavity of
grain. *The result is a panel that is much more stable. *No woodworker
would argue that a traditional rail/stile/panel door is not 'solid
wood" *if the panels are glue-ups. *

The guy who wrote the original article addressed all of that. If he
hadn't gone belly up for whatever reason or wasn't the sole supplier,
I probably would have a very impressive door. But since I can't find
what the project needs, all of that is rather moot. Pity... ;-(

Ron