Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair
PlainBill PlainBill is offline

Default motherboards power socket reapir on laptop

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:00:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi, I had a loose power socket and superglued it and that lasted just
fine for a few months. Then it went out beyond
an ability to glue it again, but still have a occasional power
connection when moving it. I pulled out the motherboard and the solder
on the bottom side of the board where the socket connects, the solder
was burnt away and brittle.

I'm not much of a solderer, just have a cheap soldering iron with a
large tip. Is there a pretty much common method to repair this, I was
thinking of dropping a drop of solder where the solder failed instead
of finding somebody to repair it. Then putting the laptop back
together and see if it works and do a re-superglue of the offending
loose socket.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. Tools needed, over my head in my
abilities?

It's a compaq presario 1692

Thanks

The advice you have received on practicing soldering is important.
However, if the socket has been damaged you are fighting a loosing
battle. Do a search on eBay. I had a similar problem with a Dell
notebook, and was able to find a replacement socket for under $10.00
delivered. It was well worth the investment.

PlainBill