Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default rechargeable batteries?

On Jun 17, 7:56*am, dicko wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:10:58 -0400, "J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral
wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
anyone recommend a reliable brand of rechargeable batteries, and where
can I buy them? *i ordered some high-capacity NiMH C cells online a
while back and last night when the power hadn't been restored by the
time the sun went down I tried them in my flashlight; dead as a
doornail. *These had been charged by me after receiving them and then
rotated through the charger again; all of my rechargeables have been
in the charger within at least the last month. *I feel so wasteful
using alkalines but I keep having bad experiences with every
rechargeable I try.

nate

Most any name brand will be fine

Rechargable batteries, as a rule, are very bad for emergency use
unless you continually keep them on trickle charge. The problem is
they loss their charge just sitting on the shelf and when you go to
use them...... well, you found that out. *NiMH are particularly bad in
this respect.

There is a new type of rechargeable on the market now call a hybrid
battery. It combines the best of NiMH and alkaline batteries into a
nice rechargable battery. *Like alkaline, they retain their charge
sitting on a shelf, and yet they are NiMH rechargable.

Look for the brand Eneloop, made by Sanyo. *Its sold at Circuit City
and also online. * Also, Rayovac makes one, named appropriately
enough, Hybrid Battery. *There are several others on the market too.

-dickm-

Hmm... sounds interesting but the common thread that I see is that all
are only available in AAA and AA sizes. I got the C cell NiMHs so I
wouldn't have to carry several batteries with me if I decided to head
out for a long ride. I guess that plan won't work?

nate