Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default Having Problems Finding The Door

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:42:07 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:

No, I'm not convinced. There's a company that makes doors without
having to glue them:

http://www.timswoodshop.com/doors.htm

And if I could get the wood in a single board-- which is what I want--
I would pay as much as I needed to. I would rather not have to either
glue boards or have a door made out of glued boards; hence the name,
"solid wood."

Ron, how much woodworking experience do you have? Building a
full-size entry door is not a small project. Do you have a jointer
that can handle 80 inch stock? Can you make large, tight mortise and
tenon joints?

It's very unlikely you will find 32 inch wide boards. Trees that big
were cut down generations ago. There's very good reason not to use
big panels, as well. The wider the single panel, the more likely it
is to warp and/or cup with changes in humidity. To make wide panels
you take narrow stock and edge glue it with alternating concavity of
grain. The result is a panel that is much more stable. No woodworker
would argue that a traditional rail/stile/panel door is not 'solid
wood" if the panels are glue-ups.