Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default security sensor needed for garage door

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:10:25 -0600, ED
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, Randy wrote:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

The video sounds interesting care to share some
details?

About 6 min long, 65 meg file. Don't know about the legal
ramifications of putting it on youtube. Guy goes form watching me to
checking out the pickup truck several times. I guess when he fiqures
I'm busy welding he comes in sees the laptop and takes off with it,
does spend enough time to take the power adaptor too.

Pawn shops I checked at said they would not even buy something that
old. I need old because I need a serial port.