Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Sony Betamax VCR SL-S600 Dead Capstan Motor Help

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:01:49 GMT, wrote:

I have a Sony Betamax VCR Model # Sl-S600 that has a dead capstan motor.
Everything else is working. The unit loads the
cassette and loads the tape around the head drum. the head motor is turning
also.
It has a nine pin connector on the capstan motor. I am getting what looks
like the correct voltages except pin 3 and pin 9 are zero volts.
I don't have a manual on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen a lot of Sony Beta VCRs with a bad hall effect sensor on the
capstan motor board. It's the little 4 pin device that looks like a
transistor that is positioned near the spinning rotor. It detects the
rotation of the motor so the driver IC can switch the coils at the
correct time. I've had some success replacing these with ones
salvaged from other scrap VCR motors (drum motors, or capstan motors
usually contain one or two).
Andy Cuffe