Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default HVLP gun questions

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:32:21 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
I found out that the local shops wanted FOUR GRAND to paint a truck.
I bought the gun and then sold my old truck complete with blems
instead of repainting it, figuring that the paint job would probably
only fetch another $500 and might cost $300 to shoot. I sold my Ford
for $1,100 instead of maybe $1,600.

The thick enamel I shot with the gun did tend to blotch until I got it
thinner, then it tended to run. Isn't experience fun to gather?

That's why I used acrylic lacquer on the three cars I painted in years past.
First, I was able to use an oilless, tankless Sears compressor. It was
plenty of pressure and volume. Second, in no time at all, you can sand the
last layer you screwed up right off of there, and shoot it again until you
get it right.

Lacquer is sweet, isn't it? I often helped the painter prep cars (OK,
for a few minutes at a time, waiting for the beer to get there) and
the acrylic lacquers were easy to smooth/remove runs. That guy,
Dennis, could make any metalflake stand at precisely the correct angle
to match the existing paint and the repainted patch would be invisible
5 years later. Other painters' work would start showing flaws within a
few months. Dennis was a true artist with a gun.

It may not be the toughest paint around, but five or six coats and some
elbow grease sure does make it shine. d8-)

Now put on a polymer sealant and it'll shine without added elbows.
The Scot side of me likes NuFinish, $6.50 at Wally. Easy wipeon, easy
buffoff. A better finish, which I'll try when this jug is gone, is
Klasse (German import, about $20.)

--
The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.
-- Edith Wharton