Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Having Problems Finding The Door

Ron wrote:
I want to make some custom solid wood doors and I hear that a wood
called jarrah has nice qualities though I would probably use
traditional woods like oak, ash, poplar, etc if they were more readily
available. Buying wood for the rails and stiles is easy enough, but
does anyone know of someplace where I can buy 80" x 32" x 2" wood
boards that I can use to make my doors with?

For all you retards that didn't read Ron's original post, he wants to
make SOLID WOOD doors.

He says he can get wood for stiles and rails, BUT he wants to buy
solid planks. He does NOT want to build a raised panel door.

Ron, you simply cannot get a single 32" wide plank of any thickness or
length. All the trees that would've been big enough to produce a plank
that size were cut up decades ago.

There are problems with planks that big and thick is that they're not
stable. Most of them would've split during drying, and the few that
didn't, would've split in the ensuing years. The shrinking and
swelling stresses on such a large uninterrupted expanse of wood is
just more than wood grain can handle.

If you want a solid wood door, you need to join multiple narrower
planks to make one larger plank. The upside to this is dimensional
stability. It won't crack. The downside is that you'll end up with a
minimum of three grain patterns in the door because planks wider than
12" are nearly impossible to find.

If you want a single grain pattern, you need to use a veneer over a
solid wood core.