Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default HVLP gun questions

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:24:00 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus21958 quickly quoth:

On 2008-06-16, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:57:48 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus21958 quickly quoth:

I bought an Ingersoll rand HVLP gun. I figured that they would not
make junk.

http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand.../dp/B001AKHUTS

(not an affiliate link)

What sorts of paints can I use with them? Will thinned oil paint work?

Generally, you figure out what paints you want to shoot and match the
gun to that range. (Unless you're too che^H^H^Hfrugal, as I am.)

HVLPs don't shoot latex well at all, but warming the paint, adding
thinner and Floetrol helps a whole lot. That's all I've shot with my
HF HVLP gun so far.

Alkyd and oil paints shoot a bit better with their lighter
viscosities. Your gun should have a suggested thinning and mixing
chart in the instructions, Ig.

Also, buy a viscosity cup and use it. I found that and cheap filter
cones on eBay. Use them every time and clean up the gun with the
proper solvents the -second- you stop shooting with it.

Thanks Larry. I am very excited about this HVLP concept. I hope that
it works as well as I imagine.

It doesn't work much better than a good gun, but it sure is less messy
and cheaper to use with expensive products. I haven't really gotten a
lot of experience with it yet, but I picked up Andy Charron's painting
books so I could look into it more deeply when that bug bit me, too.
http://tinyurl.com/4gu8us and http://tinyurl.com/44365u

I found out that the local shops wanted FOUR GRAND to paint a truck.
I bought the gun and then sold my old truck complete with blems
instead of repainting it, figuring that the paint job would probably
only fetch another $500 and might cost $300 to shoot. I sold my Ford
for $1,100 instead of maybe $1,600.

The thick enamel I shot with the gun did tend to blotch until I got it
thinner, then it tended to run. Isn't experience fun to gather?

That's why I used acrylic lacquer on the three cars I painted in years past.
First, I was able to use an oilless, tankless Sears compressor. It was
plenty of pressure and volume. Second, in no time at all, you can sand the
last layer you screwed up right off of there, and shoot it again until you
get it right.

It may not be the toughest paint around, but five or six coats and some
elbow grease sure does make it shine. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress