Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Having Problems Finding The Door

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 04:18:31 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:

I want to make some custom solid wood doors and I hear that a wood
called jarrah has nice qualities though I would probably use
traditional woods like oak, ash, poplar, etc if they were more readily
available. Buying wood for the rails and stiles is easy enough, but
does anyone know of someplace where I can buy 80" x 32" x 2" wood
boards that I can use to make my doors with?

Ron

Why would you need 80x32x2 wood? Since you speak about rails and
stiles, you will need floating panels of some kind, ply or glued-up
solid-wood panels. Poplar is a good choice if you paint. Making
custom doors without some experience can be a challenge, but there are
detailed instructions (books, magazines, etc) available to minimize
the frustrations.