Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Styx Styx is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.

Well that's the end of it as far as I am concerned, as a seller.

Isn't this a monopoly issues? And illegal under EU law..not that paypal
has ever bothered to comply with that.

The rumour is that it's possibly going to get worse than that, with ebay
forcing all sellers to *only* accept PayPal unless the item being sold
is collected in person. In fact, they're already planning to try this in
Australia...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...tralia_paypal/

But the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission have told ebay to
abandon the plans on the grounds of anti-competitive practises

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...tralia_paypal/

We've already ditched our PayPal and e-bay accounts. Problem is that
it's going to take a while for other auction sites to come up to the
same kind of mass use that ebay has enjoyed for the past few years.
Well, unless Amazon or Google decides to take a shot, I guess.

Styx