Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default Math help needed - triangle.jpg

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:57:23 -0400, John
wrote:

...the bottom being 50 makes each top 65 degrees. I want to miter each corner and
wouldn't you just divide 65 and 50 in half, making them 32.5 and 25
degrees?

You're going in the right direction, but remember that the degree
measurement of a miter cut measures off the perpendicular - 0 degrees
is a square cut at 90 degrees to the reference edge. So the 32.5 cut
would require the miter cut be made at (90-32.5) = 57.5 degrees and
the 25 degree cut would require a miter setting of (90-25) = 65
degrees. Those angles, especially the 65 degree setting, is outside
the range of setting on my miter saw, not sure about the miter gauge
on the table saw, so it may require that you either come up with some
sort of jig/fixture or break out the hand saw and cut them by hand.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA