Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair

Default motherboards power socket reapir on laptop

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:21:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It still has solid solder, do I need to remove that, if yes any way of
faking it.

No. AFTER gluing the connector, and waiting for the epoxy to harden,
hit all the solder pads with some clean rosin core solder until it
reflows and is shiny. If inexperienced, practice with some eWaste.

As far as gluing, I got my question answered of doing it before
soldering, as the connection might break and it's pretty loose to
begin with.

Yep.

The practice with a decent
soldering iron and some junk electronics. When you figure out which
end of the iron to grab, you're ready to attack the laptop.

I think I got past the wrong end part, more than a few times,

I haven't. I was holding the soldering iron in my mouth and managed
to burn a big hole in my jacket.

I might have some boards of this and that under the house crawlspace.

Check the local eWaste depository.

Incidentally, I'm impressed that you're able to take it apart. That's
generally not an easy thing to do.

Thanks, I kinda looked at how it was put together, then thought how to
do it in reverse. I just took my time, do a post or two on the usenet,
get back to it. I took pictures through the process though.

Hint: The hard part is remembering where the screws go. That's why I
take photographs with a digital camera. As soon as I get the covers
off, I print the photos on my laser printer. I then circle the screws
as I remove them. On Compaq hardware, which tends to use many
different sizes and lengths, I place a 2nd copy of the print on a
piece of styrofoam. I then shove the screws through the print, and
into the styrofoam. No more guessing which screw goes where.

I have looked for a motherboard for it, but no luck. I still might try
this.

If it's only the connector, you're on the right track. No need to
replace the board. However, if you have the time, I would replace the
connector instead of gluing it. I only glue connectors on worthless
laptops, or where the customer is in a big rush and can't wait a few
days for the connector to arrive.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558