Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] astroncer1@yahoo.com is offline

Default motherboards power socket reapir on laptop

wrote:
bz wrote:
wrote in news:0f0e8190-5002-4df7-a522-d77de45c1a20
@v1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 14, 3:34�am, bz wrote:
snip

Buy a soldering iron that is the right size at radio-shack.
Could be cheap, provided you practice, a lot, soldering on old PCB
boards.

Fix your board yourself.

Use GOOD solder 63/37 NOT 60/40.

60/40 is _bad_ solder ?

Yes. It passes through the 'plastic' stage during cooling. Do NOT jiggle or
you get a cold solder joint.
It melts at a higher temperature. Harder to get melted and get good solder
flow.

63/37 is _that_ much better?

Yes. Get a eutectic solder. [melts at the minimum temp for an alloy of
those metals].

Or did you mean
40/60 which _is_ bad solder ?

50/50 is worse than 60/40 and 40/60 is even worse.
[bad and good in relation to electronics usage. If you are a plumber, 50/50
might be better for your work.]

I have 60/40, will that work OK though? This computer is a 733Mhz
processor so it's not modern.

If you're patient with eBay, you can get a Metcal in parts for $100.
Bought 6 so far for at work. After using a Metcal you won't want to
use a Radio Shack soldering tusk.

A GOOD, temperature controlled, soldering iron is, OF COURSE, better than a
cheap iron.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

Thanks for the replies to this post.

It still has solder there, do I need to remove it?

I'll post a few semi-viewable pictures.

Hi, here they are

It's right under L50, note the existing solder, I will try to clean it
off. What is it called, from the solder in the first picture left of
the L59, trace? Anyway under magnification that looks good. So would
this be the only place that needs the solder?

http://315chan.org/n3rd/src/121358542179.jpg
http://315chan.org/n3rd/src/121358475480.jpg
http://315chan.org/n3rd/src/121358489650.jpg

Thanks for comments, suggestions.