Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Application of algebra

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:57:05 -0600, the renowned Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

Steve Austin writes:

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus27711" wrote in
message ...

Do you remember

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

Pick any two and calculate the third. I used to use it all the time
in my dad's hardware store to calculate how much guy wire somebody
needed to support an antenna tower. Same principle, different
application.

That's not algebra. That's geometry.

No, actually. He's solving a geometry problem, but he set up an
algebraic equation.

It's only an approximate solution to the guy wire problem because a
hanging wire forms a catenary not a straight line, so the actual wire
will end up being somewhat longer.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany