Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default motherboards power socket reapir on laptop

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jun 14, 12:30 pm, bz wrote:
wrote in news:0f0e8190-5002-4df7-a522-d77de45c1a20
@v1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 14, 3:34 am, bz wrote:
snip

Buy a soldering iron that is the right size at radio-shack.
Could be cheap, provided you practice, a lot, soldering on old PCB

boards.

Fix your board yourself.

Use GOOD solder 63/37 NOT 60/40.

60/40 is _bad_ solder ?

Yes. It passes through the 'plastic' stage during cooling. Do NOT jiggle
or
you get a cold solder joint.
It melts at a higher temperature. Harder to get melted and get good solder
flow.

63/37 is _that_ much better?

Yes. Get a eutectic solder. [melts at the minimum temp for an alloy of
those metals].

Or did you mean

40/60 which _is_ bad solder ?

50/50 is worse than 60/40 and 40/60 is even worse.
[bad and good in relation to electronics usage. If you are a plumber,
50/50
might be better for your work.]

If you're patient with eBay, you can get a Metcal in parts for $100.
Bought 6 so far for at work. After using a Metcal you won't want to
use a Radio Shack soldering tusk.

A GOOD, temperature controlled, soldering iron is, OF COURSE, better than
cheap iron.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Once you do solder it successfully, I would use a glob of epoxy to
help hold things together, not just depend on the glue to hold on by
itself. Good solder bonds can eventually break if they are under a
constant strain, the epoxy just might help lengthen your repair.

Bob Hofmann

I use my hot melt glue gun a lot. They are cheap and the main advantages
are that you can always peel away the glue if you need to, and it remains
flexible to absorb shocks and allows things to bend rather than snap. Epoxy
is pretty much permanent.

Gareth.