Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default motherboards power socket reapir on laptop

wrote in news:3271315f-dff3-40a0-91e2-11829f986ea0
@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Hi, I had a loose power socket and superglued it and that lasted just
fine for a few months. Then it went out beyond
an ability to glue it again, but still have a occasional power
connection when moving it. I pulled out the motherboard and the solder
on the bottom side of the board where the socket connects, the solder
was burnt away and brittle.

I'm not much of a solderer, just have a cheap soldering iron with a
large tip. Is there a pretty much common method to repair this, I was
thinking of dropping a drop of solder where the solder failed instead
of finding somebody to repair it. Then putting the laptop back
together and see if it works and do a re-superglue of the offending
loose socket.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. Tools needed, over my head in my
abilities?

Buy a soldering iron that is the right size at radio-shack.
Could be cheap, provided you practice, a lot, soldering on old PCB boards.

Fix your board yourself.

Use GOOD solder 63/37 NOT 60/40.

It's a compaq presario 1692

Thanks