stuart noble

Default Draughty sash windows - advice needed

Hywel Jenkins wrote in message ...
In article , says...
Hi

My new home has gigantic sash windows in all the rooms. The light is

great,
but with colder temperatures fast arriving, I've realised how draughty

they
are. Does anyone have any advice on how to minimise the wind blowing
through all the gaps? I've not tackled this problem before and want to
consider all the options...

Get some brush draft-excluder and fix it between the meeting rails, adn
each sash and the parting beading.

You can improve matters on the bottom sash just by re-positioning the staff
bead on the inside. If the catch isn't forcing the meeting rails together,
that's another source of draughts.
If the top sash rattles there isn't a lot you can do without dismantling the
whole thing. A couple of rubber wedges between it and the parting bead will
force it outwards against the edge of the box.