Posted to rec.woodworking
Student[_2_] Student[_2_] is offline

Default Assembling CD Tower

On Jun 13, 11:15*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Student" wrote in message

I had first cut the straight through dados on both sides, then edge-
banded them with solid oak. So they are look-alike stopped dadoes.

Typically, edge banding is done last.

The oak strips were wider than the plywood, and not straight. Even
though I glued it and nailed it with a finishing nailer, I had to do
some sanding on the belt sander to make it all flush. That's why I did
it in this order. Trimming with router? Outside yes, but inside - the
shelves are in the way.

The only way I can see around your
situation should it happen again, would be to cut out the dado part of the
edge banding on the back edges. It would never be seen from the front and
permit you to slide in shelving as desired.

I didn't get this. Sorry.

If all the grooves were identical in depth and width, this would have
been the way to go. Perhaps they were, but I wasn't sure, and didn't
want to take the risk. It's a good idea though.

My apologies, I wrongly assumed you cut the dados with a router which is the
most common method of cutting them. And if you had, the best method to get
proper alignment would be to put the two sides adjacent to each other, run a
straight edge across both and then cut it with a router all in one straight
across dado.

That's how I did it. I used my edge trimmer (Ridgid, and I love it,
can't understand why some people complain) as a router. Still,
inexperienced as I am, can I always be sure that the router bit shift
a little bit, or the sliding assembly didn't move. In principle
everything should be the way you said, but I guess I need to do this a
few more times to be certain.