Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Assembling CD Tower

"Student" wrote in message
I had first cut the straight through dados on both sides, then edge-
banded them with solid oak. So they are look-alike stopped dadoes.

Typically, edge banding is done last. The only way I can see around your
situation should it happen again, would be to cut out the dado part of the
edge banding on the back edges. It would never be seen from the front and
permit you to slide in shelving as desired.

If all the grooves were identical in depth and width, this would have
been the way to go. Perhaps they were, but I wasn't sure, and didn't
want to take the risk. It's a good idea though.

My apologies, I wrongly assumed you cut the dados with a router which is the
most common method of cutting them. And if you had, the best method to get
proper alignment would be to put the two sides adjacent to each other, run a
straight edge across both and then cut it with a router all in one straight
across dado. Eliminating some crazy flaw somewhere, you'd be guaranteed
level and parallel dados on both sides of the shelving.

I have a 60-tooth blade on my 12-inch slider. Scoring the surface is a
good idea.

Using a slider, scoring the veneer is advisable. If you do it again,
practice on some scrap first with the scoring technique.