Posted to rec.woodworking
Student[_2_] Student[_2_] is offline

Default Assembling CD Tower

On Jun 13, 9:29*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Student" wrote in message
When assembling the case, I realized that I wasn't able to fit in the
shelves into grooves on both sides, and align and clamp everything
together in time before the glue dries up.

Were these stopped dados (dados cut into a side but not running to any edge)
or were these straight through dados?

I had first cut the straight through dados on both sides, then edge-
banded them with solid oak. So they are look-alike stopped dadoes.

What was to stop you from gluing two
shelves attaching both sides and squaring it up and clamping for the glue to
dry? Should be five minutes tops from start to clamping. Then you could
slide in the other shelves when convenient.

If all the grooves were identical in depth and width, this would have
been the way to go. Perhaps they were, but I wasn't sure, and didn't
want to take the risk. It's a good idea though.

I also had a problem with the veneer chipping off the plywood for
every crosscut - miter saw, table saw, circ saw, all the same.

What kind of blade were you using? For cross cutting veneered plywood, I
always use a carbide 60 tooth combination blade at a minimum. Some things
that can help you with tearout is to use a zero clearance insert, score the
plywood on the cut line with a razor knife, or even have a thin sheet of
junk ply under the veneered sheet to prevent tearout.

I have a 60-tooth blade on my 12-inch slider. Scoring the surface is a
good idea. Thanks.