Posted to alt.home.repair
franz fripplfrappl franz fripplfrappl is offline

Default DWV pipe through studs

On 2008-06-12, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do
I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

If the walls are not load bearing, then you can bore a hole up to 60% of
the stud depth, which is 3.3" for a 2x6, plenty for 2" DWV.

If a wall is load bearing, then you are restricted to 40%, which is 2.2"
for a 2x6, not quite enough for 2" plastic DWV (but OK for 2" copper
DWV). However, you can bore a load bearing stud up to 60% if you double
the stud, although not for more than two consecutive studs.

Cheers, Wayne

Good advice. Thanks.

Franz Fripplfrappl