Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos
default default is offline

Default New battery, car still dead as doornail

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 03:14:31 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

default wrote:

Do you have a schematic of the electrical system? Connecting the
battery backwards will blow electronic gizmos and some steering
diodes. 1990 is late enough to have an engine computer and that may
be toast.

Believe it or not I have once stupidly done the same (just brushed the terminals
thankfully) but it seems everything was reverse protected.

Graham

I knew a guy who did that to a company truck - just long enough to fry
one or two diodes - from that moment on the charging indicator would
glow dimly all the time but otherwise it ran OK.