Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Bayonet ID

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:23:26 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Some interesting people in the world, if you take the time to talk to
them.

As a 9 year old, I learned about smokeless tobacco from displaced
persons ( derogatory - Damned DP's) brought to my area of mid-central
Ontario to clear right-of-way for the transmission line to provide
this modern miracle of electricity, to our kerosene lit homes. These
chaps were accommodated in canvas tent bunk houses - a plain canvas
tent atop four foot, single layer, board walls through the middle of
winter. They worked on the wonderful, native device - snow shoes,
using state of the art axes. A couple years latter, a local
entrepreneur bought the bulk lot of snow shoes from Ontario Hydro, and
sold them off at $2 per pair, and being a childhood friend, my father
was given an early choice. I still have the result of my $2 investment
which only required replacement of the coarser mid section webbing,
and, although I haven't used them in over thirty years, they are ready
should the need arise.
My aunt and uncle employed a young lady as housekeeper in exchange for
room and board for herself and her husband who was employed elsewhere.
This couple remained friends with my aunt for the rest of her life,
crediting her with their success as Canadian citizens.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada