Michael Mcneil

Default Draughty sash windows - advice needed

"John Chapman" wrote in message

I have loads of sash windows and it is very satisfying if a long job to
renovate them completely.
With the windows out of the frame I have fitted a product called Atomic
strip to the vertical frames where the windows move up and down. This is a
flexible metallic strip that will keep out draughts and which can be oiled
to make the windows move more easily.For the top and bottom edges I use E
section flexible rubber strip. For the joint in the middle where the windows
meet I do not use draught proofer but make certain that there are strong
catches that will pull the two windows together.

I think that sliding sashes have to be the best looking windows going.
Pity they are so draughty. They were designed to allow a certain amount
of draught through though. But the trouble is over the years they deform
slightly and paint makes it all worse.

People tend to seal them with paint and filler. Morons! The best long
term double glazing for them is secondary glazing if you have enough of
a reveal inside. You can't add much to the weight of the sashes without
spoiling them.

If you have to separate the sashes:

Take the beads that separate the sliders out with a chisel. The outer
bead (inner?? -the beads that go all around the frame on the inside) is
fixed with 1 1/2" nails. They will be sticky with paint after many
years neglect no doubt.

The parting beads -the two separating the sashes, are (hopefully) only
pressed into a groove some 1/4" deep. They may feel like they are glued
and screwed. Parting bead is fairly cheap if you can find a supplier.
You may need to put it back with 1 1/2" nails. Once you have it apart
the sashes will hang freely. Don't be tempted to take maintenace further
than that as fiddling around trying to replace cord is a time consuming
business for anyone.

If you are not going to take them apart at all, just rub the edges that
you can reach with a candle. Don't paint the channels they run in if you
don't need to. You'll be amazed how much difference spraying some
furniture polish in there makes to the way they run. What ruins them is
paint on the cord. If they are heavily painted and won't run and you
really want to fix a problem like that.......

To be continued.