Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
Helpful person Helpful person is offline

Default Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

On Jun 10, 1:05*am, Skywise wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote :

I mailed the real bank customer service department to inform them that
someone had managed to hijack their primary domain. I went to a lot of
trouble to point out that this was not your usual phishing mail, and was

Reminds me of an experience I had. At my work I received an email
for someone inquiring about our service. I dutifully replied with
the requested information. I then get a request wanting to know
how much it would be for 6 months advance payment. I again replied
with the numbers. The next email from them was with a name, address,
CC number and all the info I'd need to run the card with a request
to do so. Thing is, we require a contract for our services that
can only be filled out in person. I explained this to the emailer.
They're reply was to insist that "this is very easy for you to do.
Just run the card." This confirmed my suspicion that it was a known
scam for my line of work.

Anyway, now to the good part. Realizing this person was trying to
use stolen information, I tried calling Visa to report it. Just
a bunch of droids. Eventually I did get to someone in their security
department that told me is was a bank card issued by Washington
Mutual. So I called them. More droids. At one point I had to hang
up on one guy because I could barely hear him and his accent was so
thick I don't think it would have mattered if I could hear him.

So finally, about an hour into this exercise of being bounced back
and forth between departments, I get a hold of someone to give the
card info to. I _COULD NOT_ get them to understand that I was
trying to report a card that was being used fraudulently and that
they needed to contact the owner to let them know. Further more,
they wanted _MY_ personal information.

So, here I was, trying to be the nice guy to report a stolen card
so the owner doesn't have his account wiped out. HA!!!! Good luck!!

Perhaps I should have just Googled the card owner and called them
myself. Probably would have taken all of five minutes.

Brian
--http://www.skywise711.com- Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy, Skepticism
Seismic FAQ:http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
Quake "predictions":http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

The best method is to report such credit card fraud to the FBI. They
are usually very interested and have the resources to cross check your
information against other similar cases. (I have also unsuccessfully
reported fraud to the credit card company. They generally look at
such losses as just part of doing business.)