Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Is my electrician dangerous? Please read

In article f0l3k.640$L03.193@edtnps92, "Doobielicious" wrote:
OK. My electrician has 1 feed for one of my bedrooms and a couple plugs in
hallway. The feed coming from my basement to my 2nd story has a short. They
think the drywall or siding guys screwed into the wire. The circuit was
tripping so what he did was tied the neutral white wire into the breaker and
then tied the black into the neutral bar of my panel. All works plugs/lights
work. I caught this before and asked why he put the black on the neutral bar
and the neutral wire on the breaker. He said he had a short somewhere and
did that to find where the problem is.

[snip rest]

Yes, the electrician *is* dangerous. Very dangerous. There are at least two
serious safety hazards in what he did: First, by reversing hot and neutral,
he's instantly put every switch on that circuit on the neutral side instead of
on the hot side where it belongs. Second, whatever caused the short to ground
is still there; it's just connected to the neutral instead of the hot --
trouble is, the neutral carries current too, and so whatever's touching that
is providing an alternate path for that current to return to ground, possibly
through somebody.

Explain this to the general contractor, and demand a *different* electrician.
Don't allow the first one back on your property, not even to try to fix his
own screw-up -- no assurance that he's competent to do it right, and plenty of
evidence that he's not.