Posted to alt.home.repair
Roemax Roemax is offline

Default Is my electrician dangerous? Please read

call your codes officer and ask him if its legal
that will smarten up your electrician

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
OK. My electrician has 1 feed for one of my bedrooms and a couple plugs in
hallway. The feed coming from my basement to my 2nd story has a short.
They
think the drywall or siding guys screwed into the wire. The circuit was
tripping so what he did was tied the neutral white wire into the breaker
and
then tied the black into the neutral bar of my panel. All works
plugs/lights
work. I caught this before and asked why he put the black on the neutral
bar
and the neutral wire on the breaker. He said he had a short somewhere and
did that to find where the problem is.

So when I was at work I was told by my contractor that the electrical was
fixed up and ready for final inspection. Curious as I am, I decided to
take
the cover off of my panel and found that he didn't make the change but
that
he put black tape over the neutral wire and back into the circuit breaker
and left the black on the neutral bar.

I called my contractor (not the electrician) and told him what he did and
said that there was no way that this would pass inspection. Am I wrong? Is
this a fix that would pass inspection? Is this a common thing for
electricians to do? This to me seems like a lazy fix, but am not sure if
this presents a hazard.

Like I said everything works in my hallway and bedroom so I am thinking he
reversed his wiring to make things work. So what it appears to me is that
the black wire is hitting the ground wire form when someone screwed the
drywall or siding.

Please offer me some advice and please let me know what I should say to
the
electrician when I question him on it. I know he will say hey don't worry
it
is safe, but I need to know if it is not safe and if it is not safe why it
isn't safe to do this. That way he will not jerk me around and it would
appear like I know what I am talking about.

I am almost thinking about telling my general contractor that he will not
get paid for my reno until this electrical situation is fixed properly and
am thinking about getting another electrician to make the fix because I
don't think I can trust this electrician.

Any and all advice is welcome

Thanks in Advance